Saturday 3 September 2022

The Great Race: A Chinese Zodiac Story

 



Characters

  • the Rat
  • the Ox
  • the Tiger
  • the Rabbit
  • the Dragon
  • the Snake
  • the Horse
  • the Goat
  • the Monkey
  • the Rooster
  • the Dog
  • the Pig
  • the Cat
  • the Jade Emperor

Story

Many moons ago, the people of China had no way to measure time, and no one could tell one year from the next. That was when the Jade Emperor had an idea. A race! I will hold a Great Race across the river, in which only 12 animals will take their place in the Zodiac, and the first year will be named after the champion. Send out the invitations at once. And so, invitations to the Great Race have been sent out across the land. Only 13 animals accepted them. They were the Rat, the Ox, the Tiger, the Rabbit, the Dragon, the Snake, the Horse, the Goat, the Monkey, the Rooster, the Dog, the Pig, and the Cat, who was best friends with the Rat at the time. They all gathered to the river. Welcome. I'm very pleased the 13 of you have accepted the invitations to race against each other across the river. The pleasure is ours, your Majesty. Good luck, everyone. I will see you on the other side of the river. The Cat and the Rat were not good swimmers. They decided that the best and fastest way to cross the river was to ride the Ox's back. Excuse us, but we were wondering if you could help us across. Of course. Climb on my back. Thank you. Your kindness is appreciated. Ready? Begin! And so, all the animals started to race across the river. Pig, you're going the wrong way! But I'm hungry! I won't be long! The Dragon knew he was too big to swim, so he decided to fly above instead. That was when the Rooster spotted a raft. I think I know what to do. He with the Goat and the Monkey jumped onto the raft, and used their teamwork to push it through the weeds. The Rat knew the Cat would beat him, so he snuck up behind the Cat and shoved him into the river. Just as the Ox was about to cross the finish line, the Rat jumped from the Ox's head and sprinted across. Congratulations, Rat, you are the champion! The first year will be named after you. How did he get here before me? Dear Ox, the Rat may be small, but he's also smart. However, you've claimed the 2nd place. Oh, okay. The Tiger used all his strength to battle the currents, but managed to make it across. Forgive me, your Majesty. The river was too strong, even for me. That's okay, for you have tried your best. The 3rd place is yours. The Rabbit was hopping from one stone to another until he slipped halfway and fell in. I didn't see that coming. Thankfully, there's a log. After returning to the race, the Dragon spotted the Rabbit on the floating log and helped him across the river, granting the Rabbit the 4th place. Dragon, you were the most powerful creature on Earth. You could've won the race. What took you so long? Your Majesty, I sensed a nearby village in a drought and gave them rain, then I saved the Rabbit's life. That was very generous of you. For that, you shall have 5th place. Horse made it across the river, but then the Snake slithered under him, frightening him. How did you get here? I didn't even see you! The reason you didn't see me is that I was wrapped around your leg. Thanks for the ride. And with that, the Snake took 6th place, leaving the Horse 7th. At last we've made it across. But the 3 of us can't cross the finish line at the same time. Maybe it'd be best if I cross first, that way the 2 of you can be next. As you wish. And so, the Jade Emperor was pleased with their teamwork, and gave 8th place to the Goat, whereas the Monkey and the Rooster were given 9th and 10th places respectively. Later on, the Dog crossed the river in 11th place. You were the best swimmer in the race. Why the delay? I just needed to take a bath, your Majesty. Then an "oink" was heard from the Pig. I went back for a feast, then took a nap. I woke up in time to finish the race. I understand, Pig. The 12th and final place is now yours. Congratulations, everyone! The 12 of you have each used every one of your skills to cross the river. I'm very proud of you. From now on, every child born in your year will exhibit your talents. And then, after having almost drowned, the Cat finally made it across, wet and angry at what the Rat has done. I thought we were friends. You did this to me. Nevermind. What matters is that you've done the best you could. But I'm afraid the Zodiac has been filled. Now let's celebrate! And so, the Jade Emperor and the 12 animals had a celebration at midnight. And that is how the Chinese Zodiac came to be, and why, to this very day, cats still chase rats.

No comments:

Post a Comment